Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs

Category: By Rev/Views

Well, I have just literally finished watching the second of the Futurama DVD Movies (as it was leaked early) and... I'm not wowed by it. The first movie, Bender's Big Score was a wonderful celebration of Futurama. It was exciting, funny, touching and everything Futurama had been before. It went back to old places, stories and characters without feeling like it was just rehashing old material.

But, I'm sad to say that TBWABB doesn't live up to the standard set by the first movie and the previous series. While there are moments that are laugh out loud funny and some of the scenes are brilliant there's also an awful lot of reuse of jokes from previous story lines. Including Bender sh*ting bricks not just once, but twice, Charleston Chew fireworks and more. Even some of the more original jokes from the film get used multiple times and they fail to feel like running gags, instead they feel like lazy writing. Also the plots feel rather weak compared to the ones that have come before and there seem to be very few consequences or hooks. The wrapping up of the story in particular just doesn't sit right, Bender's Big Score ended with a revelation that was close to the touching nature of the Episodes "Luck of the Fryish" and "Jurassic Bark". But the climax and resolution of TBWABB just feels rushed and not satisfying.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll still be picking this up on DVD as soon as it's released here. But, I'm sure I won't watch the movie as often as I'll watch the rest of the series. There are some superb moments, David Cross and Dan Castellaneta provide most excellent voice acting and the visuals of the show are as top notch as ever. But overall it falls short of anything previously done, I'd compare it to "That's Lobstertainment". Which is the only episode of the original series that I'll skip past.

All in all... Not good.

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?