A salute and a list

By Rev/Views

A short break from DVDs in review to do two things.

First of all I'd like to salute David Simon for creating The Wire and raising the bar for televisual excellence everywhere. The show has solidly set itself as the top of the premiere TV league. David, I doubt you'll ever read this but I want to thank you here for bringing so much joy into my life. I already miss The Wire and it's only been finished a short time.

Second part is I'm working through lists of shows and seeing which ones I've seen. Here's the list of the Top 100 Best TV Shows as listed by Time

I've marked in red the ones I've seen, White the ones I really want to see, yellow the ones I never want to see and I've commented here and there in itallics.

* The Abbott and Costello Show
* ABC's Wide World of Sports
* Alfred Hitchcock Presents
* All in the Family
* An American Family
* American Idol
* Arrested Development
* Battlestar Galactica
* The Beavis and Butt-Head Show
* The Bob Newhart Show
* Brideshead Revisited
* Buffalo Bill
* Buffy the Vampire Slayer
* The Carol Burnett Show
* The CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite
* A Charlie Brown Christmas
* Cheers
* The Cosby Show
* The Daily Show
* Dallas
* The Day After
* Deadwood
* The Dick Van Dyke Show
* Dragnet (I watched the film, does that count? NO!)
* The Ed Sullivan Show
* The Ernie Kovacs Show
* Felicity
* Freaks and Geeks
* The French Chef
* Friends
* General Hospital
* The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show
* Gilmore Girls
* Gunsmoke
* Hill Street Blues
* Homicide: Life on the Street
* The Honeymooners
* I, Claudius
* I Love Lucy
* King of the Hill
* The Larry Sanders Show
* Late Night with David Letterman (NBC) (I want to see this live)
* Leave It to Beaver
* Lost (And now it sucks!)
* Married... With Children
* Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
* The Mary Tyler Moore Show
* M*A*S*H
* The Monkees
* Monty Python's Flying Circus
* Moonlighting
* MTV 1981-1992
* My So-Called Life
* Mystery Science Theater 3000
* The Odd Couple
* The Office [American]
* The Office [British]
* The Oprah Winfrey Show (Really not fussed on her tbh)
* Pee Wee's Playhouse
* Playhouse 90
* The Price Is Right (I have watched the UK Version though)
* Prime Suspect
* The Prisoner
* The Real World
* Rocky and His Friends
* Roots
* Roseanne
* Sanford and Son
* Saturday Night Live
* Second City Television
* See It Now
* Seinfeld
* Sesame Street
* Sex and the City
* The Shield
* The Simpsons
* The Singing Detective
* Six Feet Under
* 60 Minutes
* Soap
* The Sopranos
* South Park
* SpongeBob SquarePants
* SportsCenter
* Star Trek
* St. Elsewhere
* The Super Bowl (and the Ads)
* Survivor
* Taxi
* The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
* 24 (Really not impressed with anything from Season 3 onwards, Once I heard Tony died I stopped bothering)
* The Twilight Zone
* Twin Peaks
* The West Wing
* What's My Line?
* WKRP in Cincinnati
* The Wire (Of course)
* Wiseguy
* The X-Files
* Your Show of Shows

Not bad, a lot of these shows are exceptionally American or quite old, so there are difficulties in watching them. But I haven't done too badly there - 36/100.

Sometime I'll do the tv.com one.

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?