Who won at the Golden Globes?

Category: , , By Rev/Views

So the Golden Globes are over and I'm going to take a few moments just to look at who got what.

Best Television Series - Drama
Winner: Mad Men
Nominees: Dexter, House, In Treatment, True Blood

In all honesty Mad Men is the only deserving show out of the ones listed here. Dexter's latest season was highly inconsistent, House is currently in one of the worst storylines it's ever had ("The Thirteen Show"), I can't comment on In Treatment except to say I wasn't impressed when I tried it and True Blood is just not award winning material yet.

I am disappointed The Shield didn't even get a look in here, but the nominations were a while ago so I won't say anything again.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Drama
Winner: Anna Paquin - True Blood
Nominees: Sally Field – Brothers & Sisters, Mariska Hargitay – Law & Order, January Jones – Mad Men, Kyra Sedgwick – The Closer

In all honesty this list just shows how weak the television has been this year. Janurary Jones is the best one of the lot, but the rest are really meh nominations and Anna Paquin's win? Seriously? Please someone explain to me how she's put in the best drama performance in this year. Go on.

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Drama
Winner: Gabriel Byrne – In Treatment
Nominees: Michael C. Hall – Dexter, Jon Hamm – Mad Men, Hugh Laurie – House, Jonathan Rhys Meyers – The Tudors

From this list I would have put either Jon Hamm or Michael C. Hall up there, Jon's performance in Mad Men is nothing short of spectacular while Michael C. Hall remains the most magnetic thing in Dexter with great ease. But both of them paled behind three other male actors who I won't mention here.

Best Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Winner: 30 Rock
Nominees: Californication, Entourage, The Office, Weeds

No surprises here to be honest, but I really cannot understand why Entourage is on the list at all.

Best Performance by an Actress In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Winner: Tina Fey – 30 Rock
Nominees: Christina Applegate – Samantha Who?, America Ferrera – Ugly Betty, Debra Messing – The Starter Wife, Mary-Louise Parker – Weeds

Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Musical Or Comedy
Winner: Alec Baldwin – 30 Rock
Nominees: Steve Carell – The Office, Kevin Connolly – Entourage, David Duchovny – Californication, Tony Shalhoub – Monk

Again with these two I can't really complain (except for Entourage's continued presence) and I can't really be surprised either. The industry loves 30 Rock

Best Mini-Series Or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: John Adams
Nominees: A Raisin In The Sun, Bernard And Doris, Cranford, Recount

Best Performance by an Actress In A Mini-series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Laura Linney – John Adams
Nominees: Judi Dench – Cranford, Catherine Keener – An American Crime, Shirley MacLaine – Coco Chanel, Susan Sarandon – Bernard And Doris

Best Performance by an Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Paul Giamatti – John Adams
Nominees: Ralph Fiennes – Bernard And Doris, Kevin Spacey – Recount, Kiefer Sutherland – 24, Tom Wilkinson – Recount

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Laura Dern – Recount
Nominees: Eileen Atkins – Cranford, Melissa George – In Treatment, Rachel Griffiths – Brothers & Sisters, Dianne Wiest – In Treatment

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Mini-Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Winner: Tom Wilkinson – John Adams
Nominees: Neil Patrick Harris – How I Met Your Mother, Denis Leary – Recount, Jeremy Piven – Entourage, Blair Underwood – In Treatment

These five include a big sweep for John Adams and a single win for Recount. I expected Recount to do better, but if I'm honest I haven't watched John Adams so I can't really judge if it's a deserving winner. I'll have to get my hands on it some point. Yay for NPH!

The full list including movie awards is located here.

 

7 comments so far.

  1. Rob Buckley 12 January 2009 at 11:41
    In Treatment was worth watching, but you had to watch the first five episodes to understand what it was really all about. Quite why none of the In Treatment actresses made it in to the list, though, I don't know, since they were all great.

    Anna Paquin should probably be shot for her True Blood accent, and much as I love him, J Hamm's Mad Men performance this season hasn't been as good as it was in season one.

    Big question: why The Wire wasn't anywhere again.
  2. Rev/Views 12 January 2009 at 12:42
    I know, it's an absolute crime that the show was neglected. Exactly the same poor treatment The Shield recieved (If you haven't watched that show yet Rob, I can't recommend it enough).

    I expected and hoped that there would be a nomination for Andre Royo who was just stunning as Bubbles in the final season of The Wire and at least one of CCH Pounder, Michael Chiklis and Walton Goggins who were all unbelievably good in The Shield's final season.

    What can you do? Keep plugging away promoting amazing shows like The Wire and hoping that word of mouth eventually gets them the recognition they deserve (like Shawshank managed).
  3. Rob Buckley 12 January 2009 at 13:37
    I did try to watch The Shield when it first started, but it came across a bit like "Look at us! We are just so fucking cutting edge! Look at how cutting edge we are! Look! Go on: Look!" I dare say it may have calmed down a bit after that, but it's a bit late now. Maybe when I have a few weeks spare I'll try to catch up to see what I missed!
  4. Rev/Views 12 January 2009 at 13:51
    I can certainly see where you're coming from with that. The show does open very hard and uses some big early shocks early on.

    But trust me, it's absolutely amazing. On par with The Wire in consistency and brilliance, while not in the same league for character depth and pure story telling it still remains the one show I'd watch over The Wire when given the choice.

    And while the final season of The Wire wasn't the best one (3 or 4 is) the final season of The Shield is definately the best.

    I'd be thrilled if you gave it another shot as each season is better than the previous one imo.
  5. Anonymous 12 January 2009 at 16:22
    Not a big Entourage fan then?

    I have no idea why Kevin Connolly was nominated for Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series. He doesn't do anything spectacular.
  6. Rev/Views 12 January 2009 at 16:47
    I don't actively dislike Entourage, but it's definately not one of the best comedy shows that had a season this year. Not by a long shot, it's too inconsistent and not even the least bit funny at times.

    It's probably the same reason that 30 Rock does so well, the industry loves shows about themselves. (I know I'm not the first person to type that, but I do think it's true).
  7. MysterLynch 13 January 2009 at 03:49
    Anna winning was wretched. The show is OK, but hardly great. Sure Anna showed her lovely body, but that is not enough (or should not be enough) to win an award.

    I am still shocked that Glenn Close was not nominated.

Something to say?