Dexter - Season 2 (Major Spoilers) & Heroes S2

By Rev/Views

Right, well the final two episodes of Dexter were leaked across the internet and the sites I go to started to get so choked with potential spoilers that I decided to watch them and avoid having the experience spoiled.

If you want to avoid any spoilers walk away now....







Ok well what to say? This season was nothing short of amazing, it was tense and heartbreaking to watch. There were so many things that could have happened, once Lila started to act up it was inevitable that she'd kill a major cast member - the only question was who. For a while Angel Batista was looking like the likely target, then there was the worry of Rita or even Debs who Lila had shown distaste for.
In the end it turned out to be Sgt. Doakes, who is one of my favourite characters in the show. I appreciate that he wasn't slaughtered like a criminal and the moments where Dexter and Doakes talked openly were some of the best in the series. Losing Doakes almost hurt as much asa part of The Shield that I'm not going to talk about here to avoid spoilers. If you watch The Shield you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm not feeling too good so I won't go into it in much more detail right now, but suffice to say Dexter was the best show this fall season and in 2007. It spanked the hell out of everything else in the Fall section.

Heroes Season 2.
Oh man I'm glad the WGA strike cut Heroes short, the writers need to get their act together and figure out what they're doing. Removing Sylar's powers, dumping in extra characters. Adding a "Get out of Death free" card and having Peter continue to do dumb stuff when he has powers that are better for the situation (most notable, him pulling the door open to the vault. When he could have walked through it. Peter isn't too bright, let's be honest. How he qualified as a nurse is beyond me, he's a freaking idiot.

But, the final couple of episodes did a lot to redeem the series. Returning Sylar to full strength was an excellent move, the entire Adam/Hiro arc was the best character interaction this show has ever had and the ending scenes were superb.

Of course, I can't help but feel that what they've tried to do is reset to start. Nathan is dead - again (he flanged his way past death in a wtf moment this season) - but immortality juice (aka Claire and Suresh's blood cocktail) is a total dodge on that if needed. Sylar is back with his powers, Noah is back with the Company.
I'm hoping the gap during the protest allows them to sit down and work out exactly what they're doing. Then write a decent plot that doesn't have big holes and jilted dialog. Because I really want to like Heroes a lot, but right now I just watch it for the scenes with Syla

Oh and hooray that bad Irish accent woman is lost in an alternate future! Begone!

Correct calls:
Dexter killing Lila - It was obvious from the moment she started acting up that she was a borderline personality. Her fate was sealed the moment she turned that gas tap and lit that stove.
Sylar killing Alejandro but not Maya - I'm interested to see if Sylar took Alejandro's ability (it would be prudent of him if he did) and also to see if he has Candice's (as he took it when 'sick'). If he has Candice's ability then he's going to be a major power for the rest to face.
Bennett not dying - I think a lot of people saw this one coming.

Incorrect calls:
Elle (Kirsten Bell) dying - I didn't want to see this happen, but her character seemed too one dimensional to keep. It seems now they're aiming at the redemption curve for her. So I think she'll have a reasonable shelf life.
Doakes surviving - This was made more in the vain hope that he would survive, I had no idea how he would. I'm gutted it happened as Eric King was incredible as Doakes.
Rita - I thought that Julie would be leaving Dexter this season, I'm very glad she didn't.

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?